Monday, May 20, 2013

Letter for May 20, 2013


Hey everyone! 
Wow what a week it has been! It has been such a great one! I love being out here in this area with Elder Garza. He is what we call a hoot! Ha-ha but we have seen some great things happen. 

Yesterday was the craziest and the best day ever! First, we were at church yesterday waiting for the services to start when an Elder in my district told me "Elder Ollerton, do not look to your left." So then instantly I look to my left. Then to my surprise I hear a little boy yell "Ollerton!" It was my little man Jose! The boy I baptized in Garden Grove. Ha-ha He, Anita, Sara, and Dania came over to our ward to see me. Ha-ha it was funny! We caught up on everything. I learned that Anita is progressing well in the gospel. She's so close! That is what she told me. Now she's talking about "when" she will be baptized rather than "if" she will be baptized, which is soooo great. So it was sooo good to see them. We had such a miracle. I told you all last week that Elder Castaneda told me they were going to baptize five people that we taught when I was there. Well, they had the baptism! It was sooooooo amazing! Four of them got baptized: Joby, Carmen, Christian, and Mari. It was soo amazing. You could tell they were just so excited and they were so full of joy and the Spirit. They were all radiating with the spirit. I couldn't help but smile the whole time I was there. I had the great pleasure of giving a talk on the Holy Ghost. Elder Thorne (Elder Castaneda’s trainee) and Elder Castaneda baptized them. I also was able to be one of the witnesses with my old MTC companion Elder Farnsworth. It was soo great. Afterwards they all told me that they were just so warm and so happy. I could see it on their faces too. I felt that love and warmth all through the day. What a miraculous day. 

We had zone conference this week. That was really fun. We had a great time and we really could feel the spirit. I loved the talks by the assistants. The best was the talk given by the mission president's wife, Sister Bowen. She talked about the importance of staying away from "spiritual crocodiles" she showed us a clip from President Packer's talk. Ha-ha She even showed us the song from the movie Peter Pan called "Never smile at a crocodile". She even had us sing the song during the meeting. Ha-ha it was fun! I love the talk that President Bowen gave. He is the man! I love that guy. Every time he talks the spirit just smacks us! I love it. He spoke a lot on repentance. I loved what he talked about it. How the importance of us as missionaries is to preach repentance. That is what we do. We just do our best to help all participate in this gospel. It’s the best! It's so true! I love it. 

We are just working so hard to find more people to teach. I love this area. There are a handful of streets that have Latino people. So we usually make our way around all the streets everyday. Ha-ha Pretty soon everyone is gonna know me personally, but we are doing really well and trying our best to find. We had a great story this week as far as investigators go. So we told you about Daniel and Alan. We learned something very interesting this week. The third member the "recent convert" named Eliseo. It turns out that the missionaries in Mexico baptized him about two months ago. But an emergency came up and he had to leave to come here to California. So he never got confirmed a member of the church. When we taught him we found this out. We called our bishop and he said he would like us to re-teach him everything and re-baptize him and confirm him a member of the church. We weren't sure why though, until we went to the mission office the next day. Sister Butterfield, a senior missionary in the office told us that the reason why we do this is because there is no record of him to be found in the church. So we talked to him and we set a date for him to be baptized on the 2nd of June. It's really exciting! He has a few bumps to get over. Like he smokes every once in a while and stuff. We know though that he is a pretty solid investigator now. So that is pretty exciting! We are really excited. He was unable to come to church, but we are going to get him there! 

Another cool story is that we talked to Daniel for a few minutes and we asked him if he knew a person that we could visit and teach. He directed us to another apartment complex and we went over to an apartment he told us to visit. We stopped by and this lady that answered the door said she had some friends that are Mormon and that invited her to church as well. We asked and found out it was a family of members that are in our area and that we know really well. She said they called and invited her to church and she said she was going to go. Ha-ha we left the apartment in shock. We came to find out that it was a referral that the family had given us earlier that week. They had no idea where she lived. Well God guided us to her home. That is no coincidence! Ha-ha So awesome. We are going to have a family home evening with her and that family too. Very exciting. 

As you can see, God is totally guiding us in this work. I can remember one of my earlier companions telling me of an experience he had with President Monson. One time president Monson looked at my companion in the eye and said, "there are no coincidences" I believe it. God is all-powerful. This is His work. We are just his instruments. I know it. I love it. I love you all. We will hear from you soon! 

Elder Dallin M. Ollerton

No comments:

Post a Comment