Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Letter for November 13, 2012


Hey everyone!
It has been a great week. A lot of crazy things have happened and are happening as I'm typing to you all. So first off, the baptism for Ana fell through. She was sick the day she was supposed to be baptized. So she wasn't able to go to church. They have to go to church the day they get baptized. So we are hoping and praying that she gets feeling better quickly so she can be baptized this coming Sunday. She has been having a struggle with the decision of being baptized. We are going to work with her and help her every step of the way. So we hope that she will be able to make this covenant this Sunday.

We also had zone conference this last week. That was a great experience. We went to a chapel in Irvine. It was from 11am to 5pm. A lot of it was this member of the seventy that came to speak to us. His name is Elder Kopishke (sp). He is from Germany, but he speaks English really well. He gave a great presentation in the morning about how we need to dream as missionaries. We need to make goals and set plans in motion to fulfill the dreams we have. Then the dream can become a reality. I loved that part. When we dream, we have set in our mind our desire. The Lord is always there to help us fulfill them as long as they are good and right. Later on he answered questions about how we can better work with the ward council, and how we can contact and find more investigators. It was a very fulfilling conference. I had the honor of speaking during the conference. I shared the success stories of Rachelle and Humberto.  Later on we talked about them and how we can bring more to pass. It was so great. I learned a lot.

Last Thursday night I received a phone call from President Bowen. He called me to be a trainer. I'm going to be training a brand new missionary to the field. I will be picking him up very soon. I still don't know anything about him. I guess president is going to decide whom I get when he interviews them. So I'm very nervous and very excited at the same time. It's been a very humbling experience thus far, and I haven’t even done any training yet. I guess I’ve got a feeling of inadequacy and that I wouldn't be able to be the best trainer this missionary needs. But then I remembered a scripture, one of my favorites ever. It's found in 1 Nephi 3:7. The Lord would never give us a commandment without being able to complete it. I know that I can fulfill this calling that the Lord has given me. I might not know how to do it. But again, like Nephi, the spirit of the Lord will guide me in all things (1 Nephi 4:6).

As far as investigators go we are still seeing the same people. We reset a date for Diego for the 25th of November. We are also doing something a little different with him. The seventy that came showed us a new idea that really worked well with helping people get baptized. It's called a baptismal calendar. It's a calendar that helps them and shows them their progress to baptism. We are hoping that will help us out a lot. He is just struggling with reading the Book of Mormon. We are hopeful and prayerful that he will read from it. I know that if he would just read one page on his own, he would know that what we are sharing is true. He has come to church four times in a row. He is really starting to like it. So we are hopeful!

We are also currently teaching the cousin of Diego as well. Her name is Daisy. She doesn’t have a date to be baptized yet, but we are trying very hard to help her obtain a date. She comes from a good Christian home. Her parents are very religious. She likes coming to church as well. She is doing well and we plan on giving her a date to be baptized as well.

We are still teaching their other siblings, but that is really all we have right now. We are going to be doing a lot of finding this week too. The Valero- Gomez Family has been giving us a ton of referrals too. So we are going to put our attention in finding them all and preparing them to be baptized.

Well, that is it. I have been having a great time out here in the mission. I'm excited to get my new companion and go to work. These next three months are going to be amazing! I loved being with Elder Walker. We had a ton of fun and we witnessed a lot of miracles out here in Garden Grove. I loved being with him and his fun and hard working attitude about the work. I have learned a lot just by being with him. He is now off to Santa Ana. I hope all goes well with him.

Thank you everyone for your support and prayers on my behalf. We still need them out here. Please pray for Ana and Diego. I know that as we work together we can witness so many miracles. Again. Les amo siempre. se que la iglesia es verdadera. Nos vemos

Elder Dallin M. Ollerton

No comments:

Post a Comment